Designing mechanical pencils in Blender

Looks almost like a high-tech medical injection device, or droid apparatus appendage you might see in a sci-fi movie/series. :wink::grin: I really like it. I would also be cool to see a ā€œSprinterā€ variant, where that back section has a coiled spring.

3 Likes

Fine tuning an old designā€¦

7 Likes

fine tuning

7 Likes

Very nice, Ray!

1 Like

7 Likes

Thatā€™s pretty ace!!!

Howā€™d you go from here to make a prototype? (using a prefab mechanism from a manufacturer)

Also, I hope to see one of your pencils on Blade Runner 3.

4 Likes

Damascus steel MP for Alita!

3 Likes

銃夢 is one of my all time favourites, but not the movie. I have the whole set of manga.

1 Like

I started with the Taiwan edition when I was training there with the Singapore Army in early 1990s. Then I continued with the English version much later. Fantastic art!

1 Like

I have a bunch of MP sketches/prototypes, maybe 2 moleskines of it. Some are crap but others not so bad I think.

Maybe Iā€™ll post them here some day. Or maybe I could send them to Pentel with a ā€œPlease Hire Meā€ written on a beautiful card with a palm tree, attached to it.

After I got sacked from the school where I worked (the school sacked everybody and was shut down) I sat figuring what I could do ā€¦ drawingsā€¦ paintingā€¦ I decided I was going to make a MPā€¦ but the only school that had ā€œproduct+CNCā€ (we used to call that ā€œindustrial drawingā€) was far up north in Braga and out of my reach (and want $$$)ā€¦ So I decided to join an art schoolā€¦ that completely changed my prospects and way of being.

Art school is a wonderful experience, if you discount the ā€œgivensā€ (stupid politics, institutionalised non-sense and etc). I majored last year (September) from the best ā€œalternativeā€ school in Lisbon (AR.CO Lisbon), as opposed to the best academy school (ESBAL).

Being at ARCO changed my outlook on life completely ā€” right now, I could be locked in a cave somewhere for 10 years and I would just paint and draw and work for 20 hours a day and I would be happyā€¦ no questions asked. Water and Bread. The prison analogy is my own, a metaphor for commitment and for me it stands for ā€œyou finally found something in your lifeā€. Okay the analogy fails completely because Iā€™ve inherited claustrophobia from my mom and just reading about it gets me gasping for air, but you know what I mean.

Long story cut short: a bug remains. And that is making a mechanical pencil bugā€¦ I need to get that out of my system, so either Iā€™ll just post my drawings someday and wish 'em luck ā€” or Iā€™ll have to learn 3D and CNC and make one (which is unlikely cos Iā€™m 53, Iā€™m getting lazy, and itā€™s just too much work for a single person).

6 Likes

I like the first one and if possible, supersize it as a magic wand size and it sure will be lengendary