CT Scans of various Mechanical Pencils

Those would be the guys we need to get some scans for us. I haven’t bothered doing any research on them. Are they in Texas? That would be awesome.

1 Like

They are based out of Massachusetts.

Oh wow. They are in Cambridge (home of MIT). I’ll be in the Boston area later this year for my nephew’s graduation. I may have to see if I can schedule a visit with them!

1 Like

They specialize in production defect detection. Absolutely incredible stuff they do.

Maybe pitch the Dive to them. They can use the content for their blog.

1 Like

My wife decided to join in on the fun and sent me this:

7 Likes

They have done several videos with Adam Savage’s [Tested] YouTube. I particularly enjoyed when they scanned several of Adam’s vacuum tubes: Looking inside vacuum tubes with Adam Savage

5 Likes

wow — very very cool!

Thanks for posting! :star_struck:

5 Likes

It was late last night when I posted my reply and already wrote an essay-length reply so I didn’t bother with that little detail :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Love looking at 3D recons. The Vascular guys didn’t use them for the clinical side of things much but the juniors on the team all enjoyed playing with them and showing them to the patients.

3 Likes

Yeah the whole magnet thing is why I said that -except it could be fun to launch an old, used, clapped out Rotring in the MRI suite, except for the damage it might do to the scanner??? Sorry I combined the MRI bit in my reply, it was late and I was being lazy.

I was mindful of not being aware how much you knew about all this stuff (seems you’re all over it, sorry, didn’t mean to lecture you) and realised the images were scout scans from their appearance. I’m respectful of the radiation too, I just thought if you only want a brief fluoroscopy run of the Dive mechanism and you’re leaded, you could do a cheeky run with your hands? That all being said, some kind of mechanical arm does up the engineering ante, and I’d love to see it.

Thanks again, great pics.

4 Likes

Best. Thread. Ever.

Mitsubishi made the KT Dive all plastic just so some nerds could go CT scan it in the future :grin: Can’t wait for that video! Godspeed @Pdunc67!

7 Likes

Absolutely amazing images @Pdunc67 !

I found the Ohto Body Knock and the Pilot Automac (new version) to be the best — they look exactly like sci-fi superweapons ready to fire into empty space; the two Pentel Mechanica’s look gorgeous as well. :slight_smile:

I wonder what the scans would look like with some other notable pencils: the Pentel QX, the Mitsubishi Hi-Uni 5050, the Pilot Automac (old version), the Uchida Drawing Sharp D, some Alphamatics, and the Tombow V472 Titan — I’m sure I forgot many well-known specimens.

Keep scanning!

3 Likes

Jeez, and here I thought I was kind of a geek!

Daaaaamn!

I have nothing much to add except to say that the vinylsavor blog has physically deconstructed vacuum tubes to examine their innards. Thomas Mayer (the vinylsavor guy) apparenly didn’t get the memo in medical school about “invasive” procedures.

2 Likes

They’re all pretty fantastic to look at. This is art.

2 Likes

I’d wear it.

9 Likes

100% i’d wear that

4 Likes

5 Likes

6 Likes

Ill wear it

2 Likes

Knockology logo on the back? Or the sleeve?

Make it happen!

2 Likes