Cool Hand Lukes… My Newman Collection

Newman ¥500 drafters; the prices are astronomical now because the entire collecting community loses its sh*t when a drafting piece shows up with metal grip and colored resin barrel.

In addition, Newman has experienced a major glow-up since 2022 thanks to the tweeter @drifand mentioned above; pretty much every significant Newman piece has experienced dramatic inflation in that time.

These ¥500 drafters have always been rare on secondary markets—I didn’t see a single one until late 2022 (and I was buying throughout 2021 and 2022). But with Newman’s glow-up, we started to see some of these on YAJ and Mercari. Almost instantly, the price floor was set at about ¥12,000. The price has only gone up since then, but people are still reluctant to pay over ¥20,000 for a non-stickered piece.

I saw a black piece go for like ¥13,000 in early 2023, but every other piece I’ve seen has garnered a much higher price. Expect to pay through the nose for a stickered red or blue one.

5 Likes

The 500 Drafter does punch above its weight. Who else was in this space? How about the Pentel Graphlet 500? Except the Newman had better finishing on its metal furniture and the click was just as reliable. Very competitive back in those days!

3 Likes

Update: I found this. Pencil is out there calling you, cytherian.

5 Likes

Yes, I have one of those (not the drafter). I take it this is from a social media post? Looks like they’re showing off quite a large NEWMAN collection.

2 Likes

Yes. This is from a prolific Instagram collector. They also have the 2mm Pilot Holder mod.

1 Like