Colleen 'SCOOP'… No Jib Required


Say ‘Colleen’ and a whole smorgasbord of ‘WK-’ initialed double-knocks come marching into your consciousness. Oh sure! A couple of handsome ‘single knock’ Jib models might vie for your attention, but by my own reckoning, the Colleen reached the height of sleek modernity with the… ‘SCOOP’. What’s that?! Well, yeah, I had no idea what this model was called either for the longest time, but that didn;t stop me from falling head over heels for its charms.


Begin at the beginning! Check out the reverse slope on the cone! This little flourish is rather uncommon, and adds a ton of character to the design. For the pencil, the sliding tip can be fully stowed for storage.


Moving up, we get a satin finished aluminum body, terminating in a slotted steel clip, and topped with a Smash-style bellows sleeve and domed metal knock.


Taking the pair apart reveals a D1 format extender for the ballpoint, while the pencil incorporates a spring cushion behind the clutch block, which is threaded into the cone. Although no cleaning pin is included, the eraser block does have an o-ring to help keep the dome cover secure.

All things considered, I think the SCOOP is probably the most sophisticated Colleen design I have come across so far. It stands head and shoulders with other stylish contemporaries like the Sakura Archi Y and Slide Sharp 1000 series, even modern day stars like the Metaphys Locus…

Lastly, I only discovered the name through a post on X that shared the following image:


So there you have it: the Colleen SCOOP BP1020-SC ballpoint and SP1020-SC sharp 0.5mm. Special Lines indeed…

13 Likes

now that’s a nice looking pencil :pencil:

1 Like

Is the D1 holder original or is it a mod from a previous owner? It looks like the pen should take crimped Japan-style refills.

1 Like

Well, I’ve seen such ‘D1 extenders’ used in other brands before so I’m not overly concerned about it. Just glad it works properly and all I have to do is swap in a modern day D1 to continue using it… The dried out D1 that was originally in it was an unbranded / un-dated refill.

3 Likes

I’m not overly concerned either (especially since it’s not my pen :laughing:), my question was more whether it could use Japan-style refills instead of D1, which tend to be expensive and don’t hold a lot of ink.

1 Like

Probably doable but since I don’t use one particular pen all the time, D1 is perfectly ok for this situation. If I have some free time I might look thru my spare refills box(es) and see if anything else fits.

Speaking of which, a friend was just complaining to me about a bad batch of Zebra EQ-07 refills that he got off Amazon for his 2019 vintage Fortia Cone pen… all of them skipped after a couple of lines and he’s desperate to find a workable gel alternative.

1 Like

Wow, haven’t seen these before! That nose cone is super unique.

2 Likes

Hmmm, reverse slope bow and no jib…. a very uncommon design :wink:

2 Likes

A replicant has appeared!

8 Likes

Honestly, a fitting name

Very terminatoresque

1 Like

That reverse taper on the cone… low grippers’ dream.

1 Like