Collection of Damdeok, the Korean

Wow, that collection is incredible!Black porche design is so coool…

3 Likes

Dall E just finished cooking up these!

Edit: he said he will try to find the acquisition of the “hairline” PD but it may take a long time since he doesn’t keep a record.

5 Likes

4 Likes

Oh no, i thought my Nestler collection is complete, but I don’t have the Marathon T shown above :face_with_monocle:

I can stand seeing the PXE155 … at least I won a PXE5 auction last week :smile:

5 Likes

Man… I have to just reframe my mind to live vicariously through such prolific collectors, as I’ll never be able to come even 25% of the way there. Is the Korean collector fastidious on all money spent on the collection as well? I’m a bit curious as to how much he has invested in creating this super-collection of prized vintage mechanical pencils.

3 Likes

I have the Alphamatic in dark blue. I’ve lusted after the bronze or titanium finish, but haven’t had good timing on a price I’d like to pay (lower end of going market rate that has actually sold). Anyway, I use mine periodically and it’s such a nice writer. It also does a good job of managing soft lead without breaking it.

3 Likes

Holy. Fuck.

There are three types of sharps in Mitsubishi’s Hi-Uni 5050 line. But there seems to be one hiding. When we find it, we will send you a picture again. thank you

On @cytherian questions:
When I say that I have collected and touched 98.999999999% of the world’s mechanical pencils before, the meaning is as follows.

1. Looking at the present, there will be approximately 25,000 mechanical pencils. So now you can know the mechanism just by looking at the shape.

2. It is unreasonable to say that I have collected and touched 98.99999999999% of mechanical pencils around the world, but that means that since I have collected and touched so many mechanical pencils, I can now check them only in the form of photos. Hope there is no misunderstanding.

3. To date, the number of auctions alone has far exceeded 1,000. This is a figure that is not reflected at all, either purchased directly or purchased separately.

4. The value will be roughly guessed by looking at my photos and the text above.

His latest acquisition was the STAEDTLER Hex limited edition to compare it to the MARS-MICROGRAPH 770 0X, he is currently hunting down the Pentel Excalibur EPX series.

3 Likes

Interesting. I don’t know how he came up with “25,000” mechanical pencils, presuming he means unique models across all makers. There have been so many brands that now don’t even exist. And is he also narrowing that focus among certain select nations? Rhetorical question, though.

So over 1,000 auctions in 5 years. That’s very aggressive. Huge investment in time. I wonder what else he is collecting. Is he also into other writing instruments? Any other type of small collectible item?

Ultimately what would be his top 3 favorite writing instruments, in terms of sheer aesthetics and beauty to behold?

4 Likes

He likes fountain pens as well, of course, first versions from Montblanc, Pelikan… Haha.

I will have to ask but I know he finds FC Alphamatic Exclusive the most aesthetically pleasing pencil

4 Likes

I agree, the Alphamatic Executive has a luxurious lustre about it. Mesmerizing.

Rolling back in my head, thinking of visits to art stores where I used to buy stylographs and paper, I remember seeing rOtring quite a bit and even back in those days, their prices were hard to swallow. The idea of future scarcity wasn’t even a glimmer in the mind’s eye. I also remembered seeing Staedtler and Faber Castell. Behind a locked glass case was this higher end line of Faber Castell made of high premium metals. Looked almost like crown jewels of writing instruments. So even then… painful to think of buying. SO expensive. I believe one of the ones I spotted may have been a black gleaming Alphamatic with gold accents. I believe it was priced at something like $249. For a student… it was absolutely out of reach.

NOTE: back in those days, some stores would do price markups. It may very well have been possible to buy that pencil I spotted for somewhere closer to $199 at some other retailer.

5 Likes

That will become interesting again… I am excited to see what the 3rd will be ( I only know the 2 on the photo).

5 Likes

Yes exactly my thoughts! I’ve never heard of a 3d version of 5050.

4 Likes

There has been this style of tweet recently where ChatGPT is asked some very niche question and it completely butchers the response. For example once it was asked what was the Pentel Mechanica, and it answered that it was a very famous vintage pencil available in 0.3, 0.5, 0.7 and 0.9mm.

That photo gives me the vibes of asking “what is pentel smash” to an AI, and then just cooking that image to justify it. I didn’t even know a 0.9 existed lol.

4 Likes
  1. Old version (Japan)
  2. Export version (overseas)
  3. Domestic version (Japan)

5 Likes

Hmm, ok, so the difference is in the stickers only? Then that’s one for hardcore collectors :wink:

6 Likes

Speaking of export… I really have to wonder how many units were exported and to what countries. Was the majority of sales made in the JDM?

It would be interesting to know if anyone ever saw a hi-uni mechanical pencil available in a brick-and-mortar store in the USA. My suspicion is that it’s likely not… and perhaps what was facilitated was the option of ordering these as a custom request. And very likely at a premium price.

3 Likes

Likely Europe, Korea, Taiwan, Singapore…

3 Likes

I would be amazed if the Hi-Uni was ever sold outside of Japan and Korea.

3 Likes

10 Likes

Is he on any platform? Like twitter or Instagram?

3 Likes