Collection of Damdeok, the Korean

6 Likes

Ah HA! His Gentleman Young double-knock doesn’t have a sticker :smirk:

But those H-208X specimens are phenomenal. I’ve noticed there are “early” and “late” versions of these pencils, but I’m not sure which is which. Here are the differences I’ve spotted:

• Barrel printing in both dark brown and black
  • Matte-finished end cap vs. polished finish with lead size indication

I have one of each type.

5 Likes

Such differences are too subtle for me;-)

I can differentiate between the 2 DS75s, tho. And both seem to be in good shape, which is the difficulty with them (clip produces scratches, the gold plating fades, etc).

Nestler Kaliber is great, anyway.

It’s very enjoyable to get to see this collection!

5 Likes

@stu-dying Can you ask him if he has one of these? I’d love more info on these

7 Likes

:thinking: I’ve never seen Pentel Technoclic pencils named Micro “Two-Touch” and using wood patterned plastic. Bizarre! And that metal end cap? That’s… sexy.

3 Likes

It was a rip off of Pentel.

4 Likes

Funny what the eye can do… when I glanced at the sticker and saw the 0.5, the font of the 5 looked exactly like the one used by Pentel. So I just immediately assumed this was another Pentel variant.

How long ago did this rip-off come out, and were the internals any good?

2 Likes

I think the late 80s but I’m not sure. I don’t really know anything about these. I’ve been searching for years for info but been getting airballs.

2 Likes

Good place to ask here (Korea bling enhanced stuff)…

3 Likes

From him: Yesterday I was a bit busy so I couldn’t reply. Also, it is because there was a part that needed to investigate the data for the part you inquired about.

The answer to your question is as follows.

1. MICRO TWO-TOUCH = I have never owned either past or present. I didn’t collect.
  2. First of all, it is necessary to briefly know the history of Korean writing instrument companies before discussing products. Around May 1965, Shinheung Precision, a private company, was established. Then, on May 28, 1986, the private company was converted into a corporation called Micro Korea Co., Ltd. After that, it disappeared into history due to the IMF bailout of Korea’s foreign exchange crisis.
  3. MICRO TWO-TOUCH = This product is made by Shinheung Precision Company. I’m guessing it’s probably 1980. Since the corporation was established in 1986, it is a product before that. This is a product from at least 38 years ago.
  4. I’ll leave a picture of that time at the bottom for a while.

5 Likes

Can confirm. On the leadholder, the clip is in contact with the body, so when you ‘knock’, it scratches immediately. Pretty shitty design choice, if you ask me - something that cosmetically damages itself from the very first use. I’ll post a photo sometime.

3 Likes

I also got one of this ¥2,000 version grey plastic box Pentel Mechanica 0.5mm. The box has a lower case Pentel logo (instead of PENTEL, but still in grey color) which is also assumed to be made in 1971. It’s kinda weird that all its accessories are not uniformly “matched”:
i.e.

1. A “PENTEL” paper box outside;
  2. A “Pentel” grey plastic case;(diff from the pic above)
  3. A “¥2,000” price tag;
  4. A “Pentel” plastic sheath for the pencil;(diff from the pic above)
  5. NO clean wipe;
  6. NO product catalog;

One thing I’m concerning about is the paper “medal”. In most of the cases, an early ver Mechanica known as the one with PENTEL logo usually comes with a leather made sheath, and this is not something looks like leather, but real leather, and it is proofed on the medal which has “替芯·本皮シース” printed, which means “Leads and leather sheath”, and typically those with Pentel logo were made of plastic, and on the medal it would say “替芯·シース”, which deleted the word leather. My first time seeing a PENTEL logo sheath but not made of leather. Weird!

7 Likes

EDIT - message from him:

I’ve been searching a lot for mechanical pencils related to Pentel’s EXP line. We are collecting BURBERRY-RENOMA mechanical pencils that collaborated with the Pentel EXP line in the same way. However, we will exclude BURBERRY in relation to this lineup. The reason is the poor finish.

4 Likes

Finding a sealed product - After opening - There is the hassle of having to reseal it - But because you are curious - To answer your questions about it - I will have no choice but to provide you with photos.

The PENTEL MECHANICA 0.5-¥2,000 I am sending you is a product corresponding to the 3rd generation. You should have 11 fittings that fit the era exactly.

7 Likes

Can you imagine…

Getting a sealed pencil that comes in a case. You hold onto it for some years. Then one day, you’re feeling like it’s time. You take out a very sharp knife and make sure you break the seal in a way where you can fix it back. You look inside and then see… this:

:flushed::anguished::tired_face:

4 Likes

He’s been acquiring more Renoma pencils but annoyed that it’s hard to find the nice models.

He is also downsizing his collection a bit and aiding other Korean collectors on getting started and finding high end vintage pencils.

9 Likes

Ask if he is willing to sell some of his pencils to Brazil and help a humble collector :rofl:

4 Likes

I actually did just that few days ago, he said he isnt sending anything international out of convenience but wanted to send me a gift, I will post it when it arrives.

8 Likes

It arrived! It’s insane!

I was left a bit breathless when I opened the package.

To the Pentel experts here, correct me if I’m wrong, but these are first gen MEC and PMG, correct? Amazing. Simply lovely.

And the MARS-770… It’s such an amazing piece of history! The paper is the guarantee of the pencil, STAEDTLER says they will replace any malfunctioning MARS-770, on the backside are the instructions.

All items came very very carefully packaged, the pencils came separately in a rotring gift box (I suppose the original contents were a RR600 BP, MP, FP). All pencils are working and over the next days I will use them and write a review for the MARS-770.

10 Likes

I don’t know how to tell whether a Mechanica is a first or second-run. Everybody references the “JIS mark,” but I thought that was only found on price stickers or engraved on the grip (which is not visible here).

One thing that does stand out to me is the presence of “PENTEL” in all caps on the grip; that certainly signifies ancient Pentel status.

2 Likes