Collection of Damdeok, the Korean

The only things I found online is that it was a Japanese pen (and pencil) brand that existed during the showa period. No one seems to know anything else, they are also called Mitsukan in the 2020 FC pen world book.

4 Likes

It depends. The black ones with ink window? Not terribly expensive, unless it comes NOS in box with papers. The candystripe resin ones? They are hit or miss, but generally quite pricey these days.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Oh, Ohto galore, here, too :wink:
Very nice.

2 Likes

A renoma pencil + the locus MP! That can’t be a coincidence haha
That alphamatic is a thing of beauty. From all of the alphamatics I’ve seen, it’s probably the one I’m interested the most.
I had never seen those models from renoma nor koh I noor. Very cool vintage vibes. If I had seen that renoma on the shops I visited I’d bought it for sure, but I only saw rattly ugly pencils :')
The Mitukan I also didn’t know. Looks like a pencil from the PG series with a metal grip, + that hardness selector color is beautiful.

2 Likes

That is because in Japanese there’s only つ, which depending on the romanization chosen (the criteria for turning kana to alphabet) is written as “tu” or “tsu”.

3 Likes

I’m still looking for this one. The Italians have style if nothing else…

6 Likes

^ @Heath. Find this for us.

4 Likes

Good luck on your hunt.

These models he says he acquired at the start when he went after aesthetically pleasing and artistic pencils, he had a lot more but over the years due to drama and the scale of the collection had to drastically reduce its size (he says at once it was in the thousands of pencils but is now only 120 pencils).

3 Likes

I can understand this approach—there’s always tension between collecting the most impressive pieces (high priced rarities, mostly) and amassing a collection that tells a story.

A small collection of hi-mecha pieces is guaranteed to draw massive interest—flirting with unobtanium is a big piece of the psychological puzzle behind collecting.

But to me, the longtail variety provides a different challenge:

• Can you put together a relatively complete collection of a brand’s history?
  • Can you track down rare pieces that are less popular but also rarely come up for resale?
  • Are you a Renaissance collector or a specific brand enthusiast?

I knew my path the first day I opened a shipment from Japan. That package included three surprise pieces—triangular-barreled Pilots from the early 1970s and a Colleen Jib WK-1035 from the 1980s.

I knew they weren’t “famous” pencils, but the joy I experienced knocking and writing with these pieces was something I couldn’t shake. If I collected only the famous hi-mecha pieces, I wouldn’t have these same feelings of unexpected delight while traversing the longtail of pecildom.

Plus, hi-mecha pieces come with a heavy side of anxiety because of pricing and reliability concerns.

Meanwhile, longtail delights are completely pure by comparison. For me, this is where the magic happens (though I admit to lusting over hi-mecha pieces just like everyone else!).

5 Likes

OK, you’ve got a new nickname then. Longtail! :smile: :wink:

9 Likes

4 Likes

NOW we’re talking! What a beautiful set.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Person’s collection are super cool. I imagine them like the Craft Design Technology of the past. Those smashes are probably the Persons that interest the most the mechanical pencil enthusiasts, but in pen spinning there’s quite a few other Persons that are quite sought after (mainly the Pentel Color Twins)

Are Burberry’s pens collectible at all? I also see them sometimes in mercari but I never thought much of them. I just supposed that they OEM’d them from some other brand, as most fashion brands do.

3 Likes

IIRC they are from Pentel (I’ve seen sellers claim this).

3 Likes

Burberrys were indeed manufactured by Pentel. Not incredibly collectible unless you’re a Pentel fanatic like some of us here. Not to mention any names. :eyes:

3 Likes

I was so disappointed with the Burberry Kerry… what an ugly design! I think they could’ve done much better.

4 Likes

I resemble that remark. I have two of the Burberry’s in that photo. I do want those Person’s Collection pencils.

4 Likes

I like them. I have about 4 different versions.

4 Likes