Champagne Gold x Knurled

I have been curious about the Sakura XS-305/3 for awhile now. From the product photos, it would seem to be yet another ‘round profile clone’ of the Rapidomatic / rOtring 500 archetype. I was particularly intrigued after ALVIN revived the Draftmatic with a blunted nose. The XS-305 came in champagne gold, silver and pink. I picked gold as a safe choice to go with my OHTO NBP-507R pen and Orenz Metal Grip 0.3.

When I received it, I was initially disappointed that the knurling appeared rather flat, like the Blick Premier, instead of the aggressively pointy machining of the classic ALVINs. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the Sakura: the grooves cut into the grip were actually pretty tactile and non-slip. Other good points: the clutch is still spring cushioned, and the lead degree window is quite stiff and will not easily change position, unlike the rOtrings.

Overall, quite pleased with the Sakura XS-305 and might consider getting the silver in 0.3 eventually.

7 Likes

Good color pick. I have just the Champagne Sakura as well. I’m still trying to get all bona-fide Rapidomatic/Alvin inspired designs that have the bushing tip. Platinum, Pyramid and Dong-A are elusive.

But I hate the knurling on the Sakura. To me it is just a slippery mess. Are you saying the etching on yours has an edge to it?

Yeah, despite it looking ‘flat’ it is actually pretty grippy. Better than some OHTO promecha.

1 Like

The grip on my Sakura was very tightly screwed onto the metal mid-section. When I tried unscrewing the grip, the whole mid section came off instead and made me think the internals could not be detached at all.

After some time I tried again and managed to unscrew the grip from the mid section, finally exposing the spring loaded clutch.

3 Likes

An interesting thing about the original Rapidomatic design is that the tip is detachable from the Grip. I haven’t seen this feature on any other model of similar style.

Oh yes! This was pretty cool although they later consolidated it into the one-piece grip/tip design.

2 Likes

Yes. I like that the older design can be used in the same way that people use the P200 to make all sorts of custom pencils with a reliable mechanism and tip. It is a much nicer tip profile than P200 and has a competitively reliable mechanism.

1 Like

Once I got more than a dozen OHTO NBP-507Rs in silver. That was back in 2015 or so. I dispatched them all as surprise gifts across the world, adding them in the packages when people bought any of the many Staedtlers 95 I had for $150 on Ebay…

Just like today, 90% of buyers wouldn’t even acknowledge it — probably very sure that somewhere back on the process they had been wronged somehow. Absolutely no feedback except for a few people in another dimension.

Lucky bastards. It was a time of plenty.

4 Likes