Before CLUTCH POINT

I believe these were called ‘top chuck’ models, which just makes me think of a nice juicy steak, heh… I’m glad Pilot came up with CLUTCH POINT eventually to brand their version of this lead saving mechanism.

I consider this a really useful invention, even more so than Kuru Toga’s rotation engine. By gripping leads with a double clutch, breakage via lateral forces is reduced and you also get to use up almost the entire stick of lead.

There are probably more rarities out there for this series, but these three are what I think the core line up is. Anyone else collect these?

10 Likes

These are very nice! I don’t collect these but besides a Pilot Clutch Point I have the Mitsubishi/uni Millino and the STAEDTLER Integrity which also have that “top chuck”.

3 Likes

Absolutely beautiful

Is that checkered one etched or painted?

1 Like

Oh, yes! The Staedtler Integrity. That’s identical to Platinum’s ZeroShin MZ-500A… so probably both were licensed from Kotobuki. I wonder if Mitsubishi’s Millino is ‘powering’ the MUJI ‘ABS’ lead saver MP, since their previous version was based on the Millino’s design.

1 Like

Hi Patrick, the ‘windows’ model is etched :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Lead saving is a great feature, but somehow it didn’t become the norm.

Looking at the prices of the top chucks, I would think everybody (except lexikaliker :wink: ) collects them …

2 Likes

I have the striped one, I don’t know the model or the year of production (with so many catalogs we have available I’m already embarrassed to ask it again - hidden question -). I call it Pilot etched black stripes double clutch, from 80’s I guess.

3 Likes

If you look closely you can see they’re etched.

4 Likes

man, you do really have every pencil ever made don’t you? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’ve added that one to my must get list.

I wish we had more catalogs from this era.

1 Like

I can confirm that both Staedtler Integrity and Platinum Zero Shin were manufactured by Kotobuki.

3 Likes

Great work, Dave!
How’d you learn about this?

1 Like

:rofl: – I assume you’re talking about @drifandhe’s prolific!

4 Likes

Yes was complementing @drifand

2 Likes

Love the great condition on yours! Mine are all well used.

2 Likes

Gary, how much force did you apply to open the cone? I have always felt a bit leary with double chuck models. They felt like the makers applied loctite at the factory and didn’t want normal folks poking around the innards.

3 Likes

Thank you! But there are still levels of madness I cannot ascend to. Prices for the Hi-uni 5050, Sakura ATS3000, Freematic, Archi etc have risen beyond my threshold. If I were to abstain from all purchases for a year, perhaps I could justify the asking price of one of these.

2 Likes

I’ve unscrewed the nose ones several times and don’t recall having any trouble…
Have you encountered glue on Pilot pencil parts before?

1 Like

ok - let me give it a shot :slight_smile:

1 Like

Long ago in the heyday of my blog I had quite a bit of contact with Kotobuki. Initially a couple of ex-employees, and then their Vice-President.

4 Likes