An etched Pilot I've never seen before!

Few things beat the excitement of seeing a new (and desirable) pencil, and today, I got to see a piece I didn’t know existed.

(3rd from the right in the image)

6 Likes

I thought you were referring to the basket weave one. The block one is not quite as rare as that one, but still pretty hard to come by.

2 Likes

Nice collection there. We see the 2 clutch variants (we had discussion in the chat IIRC), and this kind of inverted Elite to which you refer. I don’t remember seeing it. I wonder if the chain ornament which I saw once at a BP also exists as MP.

3 Likes

Yeah, it has not come around very often. I saw one variant with a Mitsubishi brand name on it, but of course made by PILOT. I’ve been on the hunt for this one for a few years. Same for the basket-weave model.

There’s one more etched pattern I’ve not ever seen as an MP, only as a BP.

6 Likes

Yes, this is the chain ornament, I guess we saved photos from the same auction of a BP.

2 Likes

Yes, I guess you could say it’s a sort of chain pattern, although it’s not contiguous. Each segment is its own concentric chain ring. And yep, I’ve not been able to find any other images of it. I did see this design more than once, but the other one was a few years earlier than this one and at the time I didn’t think to save the images, because the resolution was quite crude.

2 Likes

Here’s another. Spotted this in someone’s auction lot win. Hadn’t seen this model before… and I’m guessing it’s a PILOT.

4 Likes

Nice spot, it’s also new to me! But maybe it’s sailor or even ohto? It looks a bit ethnic, and they had the Egyptian…

4 Likes

The Egyptian is something SAILOR did so very nicely and I’ve not seen other brands do it for ballpoints or mechanical pencils in etched steel or sterling silver. I’ve not seen OHTO do anything quite this intricate either… Anyway, I know who won that auction (LINK) and I’m trying to reach him, see if he might take some nice resolution photos to share and convey the maker.

1 Like

Wow, that’s cool that we might get more info!

Got a link to this auction? Looks like a next-level banger.

It’s OHTO, there’re silver and gold model with same pattern, bp&mp, not too much expensive. I think maybe it’s because of the brand and relatively simple pattern (etched lines are all the same width and not deep enough?)

3 Likes

Have you seen Pilot etched laureate with customized pattern for CMK? Feels similar in processing mode but the theme is completely different from Sailor’s one.

2 Likes

Sure: YAJ d1100604896
The PILOT Young Gentleman in the mix is a bit worn but had trouble working properly. So, this wasn’t as major a win as it looks.

1 Like

Cool to know that, Linus!
So is this acid etched into the steel, or enamel paint on the steel surface?

you mean the black lines on that ohto? I think it’s etched

6 Likes

Nice! Do you also have a picture of the gold version?

8 Likes

Thanks for the photos! Really stunning matching pen and pencil. I wonder if OHTO made any other patterns in this motif.