All about the Kuru Toga Dive

Diego, you are correct.

I’ve got a number of topics posted. I went to my most recent… and there’s a pencil icon to edit it. However, if I go back over a month to an older topic? That pencil is no longer there, and it’s not hidden in the ellipse expander either.

So it seems that there’s a forum default setting for the editable timeframe of a topic. I wonder if that can be set to infinity? Or, perhaps something like 6 or 12 months, and then if someone needs to correct it, contact the admin to release it for editing?

3 Likes

I removed the allowance timeframe for editing a post.

I also updated the trust level to allow for all level 2 members to convert a post to a wiki.

By default, this platform has a strict security policy. We are updating it as we need.

5 Likes

Thanks! Good to hear it. :+1:

2 Likes

I heard back from Kinokuniya, the local store in my area.

Thank you for your email.
Unfortunately, we have no information to carry a new model in the Kuru Toga line called the Dive as of yet.
Best regards
Kinokuniya Book NJ Store

In the store, the staff member I’d talked to had recommended writing to the website account. But she also told me that they’re beholden to the California (USA HQ) Kinokuniya on what they carry. It may very well be that UniBallCo is only selling the Dive in the USA through their website, and not leveraging any other channels (I suspect to have full control over the pricing).

“Dive? Never heard of it. Sir this is a book store not a pool”

I think Uni is starting to be able to press the accelerator on the Dive spewing machine, since for the first time in a long time, standard color prices are going down on mercari. There’s still plenty of people willing to buy at 8000 yen so maybe it’ll take a while until prices go down to MSRP.

4 Likes

I think you’re right, Diego. In the grand scheme, prices will come down. Right now, it’s still a very new pencil and there’s a huge buzz about it. And of course, in the future Uni will play the same game as Pentel and release new “limited editions” or unusual colors to entice collectors to buy more, ultimately making the more commonly available colors less expensive on the resale market.

Uni invested so much into the Dive, and since there’s enthusiasm for it, production should continue for many years to come. This, in contrast to what happened with the PILOT Automac.

4 Likes

FINALLY I was able to get all 6 of them! And all at retail price. It’s been a long journey placing reservations and cycling across towns trying to see if there were any left during release days.

11 Likes

Phew, I thought I was the only one. I can totally understand why it’s appealing to some, and no shade on them. For me however, the aesthetics of a pencil are hugely important and there are just so many other absolute bangers that one could get for the same money.

3 Likes

Congrats on completing your set! I have 5 of the 6 colors but the Grand Blue model is selling past my spending comfort level for this pencil. When you get time can you post a picture of all 4 blue models side-by-side?

4 Likes

There’s only three blue models, you can see a nice comparison picture on the top post ^^

2 Likes

From reading your initial post, the first (Japan only) relase was Grand Blue, then followed by Moon Night Blue and Cascade Blue.
Then the general release of the Abyss Blue (along w/ Twilight Orange & dense green)

Grand Blue
Moon Night Blue
Cascade Blue
Abyss Blue

2 Likes

Cascade blue is the grey one.

This is the image I was referring to
Left to right: grand blue, moonnight blue, abyss blue

6 Likes

After waiting forever, the dive was finally in stock at the local store. I was able to score the abyss blue at the list price. But they are still going pretty hard on the >one person one pencil only< rule I guess to avoid the scalper madness that has taken place these years. Not allowed to purchase more than one unit regardless of the colour you choose. The dense green was already sold out. And they are not sure about the next restock(the usual answer)

7 Likes

Which version of the blue shading impresses you the most?

2 Likes

The original Grand Blue is one of the most unique colors I’ve seen. I tried finding a pen that matched it and found none (maybe the expert @drifand can find one), it’s just that special of a color. I think that my bicycle is a similar color, which I find quite funny. I should take a photo of both of them before I move and sell it.

I don’t really like the 2nd edition Moonnight blue. It’s a matte color with some purple undertones that just doesn’t click for me.

The standard color Abyss Blue is very pretty. It’s the only glossy finish of the standard colors and, although a less unique of a shade of blue, it’s much easier to pair with other pencils and pens. For people that care about having a harmonious pen case, that will be important. I also think it’s a color that’s easier to like for a long time, I kinda got tired of the Grand Blue after using it for months at uni. Just like why people buy expensive watches in understated shades of black, grey or blue, if the color is too unique it can be tiring.

5 Likes

Is the Aurora Purple version available in the meantime? Or when is the start date of this one? And how to get one?

I consider to buy this one (as my 2nd Dive), if it’s possible to get one …

2 Likes

I’ll bet it’ll be a limited release market again like other ones, either Korea or Japan… leaving the rest of us to deal with opportunistic scalpers.

No idea on the release date. It’s supposed to be a standard colour though.

1 Like

New color is out Yahoo!オークション - 6 000円スタート クルトガダイブ〈新色オーロラ...

1 Like

The Kurutoga Dive prices for other colors have now jumped up by ¥2500 on Amazon Japan, on the heels of this new Aurora release (that I don’t see on Amazon Japan).