Pilot Holder Pamphlets

What are the numbers left of the phone numbers: telegram?

1 Like

I remember reading somewhere in a blog that some of the double-knocks from Colleen Jib are from 1972 or something like that, but I’ve lost the link to that info

3 Likes

Yes I found a reference pointing to 1972 for the Jib WK-1052 ‘symmetrical’ design. Saved the date but forgot the link.

1 Like

Dunno if I’m familiar with the WK-1052, but I can picture the WK-1035 (executive style double-knock).

It’s the one in the middle…

2 Likes

You are right (it’s a WK-1051). I thought this was the 1031 but the 1031 is slightly longer and bulkier and has a nose cone instead of a “symmetrical” tip. The WK-1051 would come in silver/black or black/ black.

1 Like

This is one of the only Colleen Jib double-knocks I don’t have:

• Green WK-1035
  • Silver/black WK-1051
  • Black/silver WK-1051
  • “Silver” lattice pattern double-knock
  • Big Jibson (both variants)
1 Like

They will last for a 1000 years! Big Jibson is quite a nice pencil, despite being so down to earth — a bit of a OHTO Horizon predecessor but, hey, there’s not a single OHTO that comes near the massive quality that any Colleen Jib has. Well, there was one multi-pencil that was quite good (forgot which one)

I only keep a Black/Black* WK-1051, sort of synthesises all the others.

Or Black/Silver, idk

3 Likes

How many grip variations have you seen on the WK-1051? I’ve spotted 2 of them. You can see the silver example has 5 rubber segments, while the black one has 9 segments. Are these sort of random, or fixed to certain colorways?

3 Likes

I have the two pieces you’ve displayed here, and they have the same 2 grips. As far as I know, there are only two styles.

But the naked WK-1051s (no printing on the barrel) have eluded me.

1 Like

Yes, that photo was lifted from one of your posts – those are yours. :grin:
I have been looking for the naked ones as well. They used to be more commonplace. The only one I have letters out “rubber grip” on it.

When I first saw one of them, it was an auction lot with a bunch of cheap plastic pencils. I just assumed this one was mostly plastic with a chromed plastic tip and possibly a metal clip. It had some other decoration on it, not “double knock” or other language suggesting the double-knock. So that conclusion mistake left me ignoring these, until word got out of better build quality.

1 Like

Your pencil definitely says “Rubber Glip,” which is a big reason why I love Colleen Jib so much.

Gold lead + making fun of L/R Japanese translations? Most fun brand.

4 Likes

Yeah, it does! I couldn’t believe it when I saw it. The phonetic spelling… “R” becomes “L”, and so the artist spelled it like that. And no one caught it. Or… it was intentional, poking fun at cultural differences?

What are some other funny Jib-isms you’ve seen?

2 Likes

I think this one was intentionally funny. “Big Jibson” is the only other playful CJ name I’m aware of.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s ‘intentional’ in the sense of “I know it SHOULD be ‘R’ but I’m gonna spell it with an ‘L’ anyway”. Like you pointed out, ‘L’ sounds in Japanese are represented by ‘R’ vowels. So to them, they are interchangeable. Part of the charm of Japlish… :smiley:

Then there is the interchangeability of ‘B’ and ‘V’… for the longest time, I was so confused by a main character in the Gundam Zeta anime who was called (drumroll…)… QUATTRO BAGINA. No kidding.

2 Likes

Hahahaha love it :joy:

2 Likes

Forgive me for the OT image :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

I know this topic is about PILOT pamphlets… would be good to have a Colleen Jib topic at some point. Took a few photos of mine. Btw, I found this little rubber cap that seems to fit the front end just perfectly.

5 Likes

I like to research patents, and some time ago I wondered who patented the double mechanical pencil.

First I found a German one from 1968, disclosed in 1970 (DE1926208). The inventor was Yukio Horie from Dainihon Bungu Co., Ltd. (which later becase Pentel), and it refers to two Japanese patents (JP19680036098, 29 May 1968, and JP19680048681, 11 July 968) from Yukio Horie. After that I came across a patent from the UK (GB1272835, 1972) and one from the USA (US3713745, 1973) which both refer to the same two Japanese patents.

So the double-push mechanical pencil was most likely invented by Yukio Horie from Pentel.

An interesting side note: On the day of the first Japanese patent (29 May 1968) Yukio Horie applied for the patent of another mechanical pencil which one year later became the Pentel Mechanica.

(I wrote about this in my weblog back in 2019, see https://www.lexikaliker.de/2019/04/doppeldruck/.)

9 Likes

Hi Gunther, thank you for sharing your patent discoveries. There was a confirmation in a different thread that the earliest Pilot double knocks, the H-2005/3 was from 1970 according to Pilot’s 100th Anniversary book. Those must have been heady days with everyone innovating at a breakneck speed.

5 Likes