You should’ve asked before buying it, now it’s too late :joy:

2 Likes

Everyone just say yes.

All together….

Yesssss!

:eyes:

2 Likes

Yup

Thanks. Yeah, the brown one was on a lark. The photos were dark. I thought it was black from the auction photos. At first I thought maybe it was badly faded, but no–definitely an even brown. Remember Damdeok being all keen about label variations? Look at the red. PILOT in white on one, red on the other. I could’ve sworn there was a green stripe version, but stupidly I didn’t save off a photo. I’ve never seen another one. I wish they’d made a yellow stripe version. It would look amazing.

4 Likes

That row of pinstripes is just amazing!

2 Likes

Look what is available in this auction, a wild guess on how far the price will go?

6 Likes

Curious that the two accounts leading the high price right now are single digit ones, not proxy.

In the past few years, competitors have applied bidding to this pencil as if it was an automatic. I still kick myself for not buying one some 6~8 years ago when bidding on Newman pencils were usually low key.

4 Likes

Guessing around 60k

Jesus it’s already passed 200k haha

5 Likes

I thought something like 50k. Then, I checked today and it was 200k :joy:

4 Likes

wow, that escalated quicky :wink:
I always wrote, the Newman 2k is a good substitute, if you cannot afford Pilot Automatic. I have to reconsider this :smiley:

The H-1005 demonstrator at YJA is also a candidate for escalation, but I guess it cannot overtake the Newman 2k this time …

4 Likes

It’s insane. It’s a pretty well made mechanical pencil, but not deserving of that price. That single digit transaction bidder account seems very determined. I think the last time I saw one of these hit a stratospheric price, it was just a bit over 100k. 200k? Nutso!

1 Like

I sold one exactly like this maybe 9 years ago… I got it under the name “Myu Stripe”… From memory, I believe they were produced from something like 1973 —1978 along with the famous Myu /Murex Fountain pens. There were also 1 or 2 BPs in the series, very similar to the MPs in shape, sizes and colours.

1 Like

This Newman has now hit ASTRONOMICAL prices….

It’s crazy to me, Newmans are generally looked at as cheap pencils, worthless comparatively to contemporary pencils… But a CERTAIN FEW are some of the most valuable drafting pencils in existence…

2 Likes

Well, to be fair to Newman, they made economy pencils and luxury pencils. You can periodically find sterling silver models in nice cases. And then of course, their etched steel models. Their cheap models are not up to the quality of the comparably inexpensive Pilot or Pentel models. But much of their higher end line is very comparable.

This model in particular is very solid, and I’d say you could mistaken it for a PILOT if it weren’t for the “Newman” name on it:

I have a nice little Newman collection, but I missed out on a few models of interest that I dragged my feet on picking up. I just assumed there would always be another auction to bid on in the future. And for a while that was the case, until about 2~3 years ago when the whole Newman bidding craze came about. Now, they’re just ridiculously overpriced. But I would say, I’ve not seen many of the desirable models coming up for auction like they used to. Even their most desired model that looks like a PILOT Automatic is unlikely to appear more than once or twice a year these days.

The last time? Insanity. Over ¥150,000: LINK

3 Likes

Drafting 2000 has always been rare I think. I bought mine at eBay (!) and never was able to get a second one at yahoo…,

All the craziness of this round started about a year ago when the grandson of Newman founder started running his account on Twitter @NEWMAN_DAI. Brings lot exposure, discussion and pictures

I still remember the time when Newman wood grain style mp’s price was around 5~8k yen, at that time I thought it was a cheap and elegant collection

1 Like