Collection of Damdeok, the Korean

Hope he’s prepared for Z’s relentless hounding. :joy:

5 Likes

He is aware of Zeta already :wink:

4 Likes

What makes these hybrid?

3 Likes

Not entirely sure. They were just dubbed the Pentel “Hybrid” Smash by some Japanese and Korean collectors. Pentel Japan came out and said they had no history on these products. These are no doubt some of the rarest Pentel Smash variations.

3 Likes

Re. Sakura Freematic: I am actually quite surprised that a lot of collectors think it is automatic. The name doesn’t help I guess. The trick with it is that it has a gravity drop mechanism just like the Uni Flicker’s eraser, but for the entire pencil mechanism. It’s a cool idea, but really impractical - a lot of vertical slop and wobble at the tip. The design is really beautiful though - all metal, even the internals, which is pretty nice for a 1000 Yen pencil. I like to think of it as a concept pencil instead of a full production one.

If anyone want’s a similar mechanism at a much cheaper price, there is the only one other that I’m aware of - Tombow Object SF.

6 Likes

@stu-dying would you mind asking him for the text under the clips for all his Faber-Castell Porsche Design Classics - both tip variants please. Any variant I’ve seen with the alpha-matic style tip have all had a date after 1990 and Germany while the TK-matic style tip have all had a date prior to 1990 and W. Germany. Really curious what the hairline finish has under it’s clip…

Also curious if he has any catalogs or other media depicting the FC PD Classics or Arc lines? Model numbers? Release year information? Honestly, any additional info on them would be awesome.

Thanks!

3 Likes

I checked mine and both with the alpha-matic tip (one black and one titanium) have no date under the clip :person_shrugging:. Do you have photos of these with a date under the clip?

All four of my twist type PD Classics have a date under the clip and are from 1986, I think.

3 Likes

I actually don’t have one of the alpha tip variants and only recently saw that the one Elton has up on eBay right now shows a 1 93 Germany. Both my twist tip styles have 3 86 W. Germany and 2 86 W. Germany.

2 Likes

Very interesting. I guess both of mine are exceptions then. The titanium one says sample under the clip, so that one I can understand. But the black one is strange - the clip is chrome (not black) and is blank on the underside.

3 Likes

I wonder if the coating was coming off and someone decided to help it along completely? Flaking does appear to be a common issue in a lot that I’ve seen online, including Elton’s current one.

1 Like

Alright! I will inform you guys of his answer to all the questions as soon as possible.

1 Like

It’s actually nice and shiny chrome. Pretty sure there is no flaking.

2 Likes
  1. Regarding the font engraved under the clip for the Porsche Design mechanical pencil, I will leave a picture after I go home.

2. I will also leave pictures of the Arc One and Moba and Alphamatic, which are of the same design as the Arc One.

2 Likes

Regarding Pentel’s Hybrid Smash products, there were some of them, but they were sold, so there is no current.

He doesn’t know of any catalogue for PD and agrees that the history of the pencil is quite obscure but says there are earlier Faber Castell models that share some similarities.

1 Like

He might be interested in this if you want to pass it on.

3 Likes

6 Likes

7 Likes

What made you start collecting pencils?
Um… I think it’s because I feel comforted mentally without even knowing it.

6 Likes

FC DS15 L is badass!

2 Likes