Cassette Mechanical Pencils?

[quote=“2nd_astronaut, post:12, topic:1827, full:true”]Stabilo cassetto”
[/quote]

At least they don’t show-horn rhymes into model names :sweat_smile:

Edit fucked that quote up somehow :confused:

1 Like

Is that also what “cassette” refers to?? That part is still unclear. Were they literally made to REWIND tapes?

cassette:
2 : a usually flat case or cartridge that can be easily loaded or unloaded: such as

• a : a lightproof magazine for holding film or plates for use in a camera
  • b : a plastic cartridge containing magnetic tape with the tape passing from one reel to another

3 : a cassette tape player

1 Like

I’ve collected the Sailor cassette (and Sheaffer rebranded variants) solely because its cartridge system is unlike anything else I’ve seen.

There’s a good reason nobody else copied it: it’s not a robust or convenient design at all. Nothing is actually glued, but some of the internals are really easy to break and the friction fit for the cartridges is easy to mess up. It took me weeks of on-again off-again experimentation to get the first one I disassembled working again and I’m still not quite satisfied with how well it works.

I’ve never had any inclination to use them as an everyday pencil. It’s a baroque design that’s too easily baroken.

That said, it’s a novelty and I’m a little bit of a sucker for that sometimes. if you really want to part with any, I’m still missing a couple and I might be interested.

5 Likes

Witty-see-what-I-did-there

2 Likes

As a first stop measure, I’d love to get any of them reassembled and working again :joy:

Haha same - it’s such an unusual design that I had to get the entire series :smiley:

I have a bunch of extras. Which ones are you missing?

I’m unsure of model numbers so I’ll have to just photograph the ones I have and show you. :slight_smile:

I’ll DM.

I guess Scripto had a cassette pencil too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/235534049914

2 Likes

Sorry, I’m old enough to know what a cassette is, I MEANT what the relation had to Mechanical Pencils. Were they specifically shaped to insert and roll the tape?

The wide range of both quality and price (both very low to very high) makes me wonder WHY that aspect seemed so valuable/not.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Edit: so the cassette aspect is due to the cartridge exchange, NOT the ability to roll back film/tape… sorry, I’ve been sick the past two days and have been slow(to say the least).

1 Like

Yes, “cassette” meaning has different contexts. There’s one that’s very familiar, the “cassette tape” which was ubiquitous in the 1970’s ~ 1990’s, such that people would leave off the “tape” word. It’s actually a unique instance of a cassette design–a modular component holding a resource. It could be tape, but it could also be a myriad of other items, such as liquids, powders, or lead sticks. The “rolled up” resource is a very specific case, that being for audio tape.

As eloquent and precise as ever. Thank you

1 Like