Painted Pentel Smash?

Here is a weird one. Has anyone seen something like this and understand what is going on? It looks like it has been painted. The rubber nubs are missing on the grip also.


I have seen some P200 pencils done this way. I believe it is called Namiki or Maki-e, and they are lacquered with sap from the Urushi tree in Japan.

I have not picked one up, but I may try to do so in the future.


Wow. I’m pretty sure that the namiki pencils and pens I could find pictures of are from another world than this pencil. There is a whole rat hole to go down. Don’t bring your wallet.

1 Like