Lament thread, for those times things go wrong

Some PXE5’s made the rounds on YJA recently. One had some lettering missing. The other one looked pretty nice. They both went higher than I expected… I’m feeling like I may never get a hold of one at this point.

1 Like

I picked up one in January, and recently, an RXE5 popped up on eBay that I grabbed, so I will have the pen and pencil.

1 Like

Their site is shitty; their mobile stuff is very fast by comparison. Clearly optimized for one over the other.

Interesting. I have the striped version of the rollerball, with sword clip.

1 Like

That would be the silver plated RXE105/106. I am not sure of the last number, as I have never seen much on this particular pen. Depends on the point size they shipped it with.

1 Like

Does your RXE5 use a Rolling Writer cartridge?

1 Like

I don’t know yet. I should receive it by next week. Picked it up from Elton.

1 Like

I was wrong. That is not the RXE105, that is an RX502 (see the 1985 US Catalog).

I did not have the picture pop up when I answered the first time.

1 Like

Looking more closely, I think the RXE5 uses some other refill, not the rolling writer. It also appears to have a bit wider girth than the black striped ones I have.

1 Like

I have the same RX502 and an RX401 (gold colored). I will check them when I get home, and also check the RXE5 when I receive it.

1 Like

I received the RXE5 this morning, but it has a non-Pentel refill - Aster Roller Refill 0.5mm (Made in Korea)

2 Likes

About a day and a half from now, a whole boatload of auctions are going down for sought after PILOT, Pentel, Uni and TOMBOW mechanical pencils. I placed a watch on all of them, but have interest in just a couple.

But then I saw there is already a starting bid on every single one. Even ones starting at ¥50,000. The same user ID: 0 d 3. When looking at the cost summed up with even just the starting price, we’re talking close to ¥500,000. I think this is one of those “group” accounts, where a bunch of collectors from China are pooling their resources.
Just Uni alone:
e1110499006
p1110493119
j1110490080

Maddening. Bid war extraordinaire.

5 Likes

There it was. An innocuous lot listing for ballpoints and pencils, most rather common, but one gem and not even displayed well. It started at ¥1000 and got an initial bid, then sat there for 4 days untouched. A day before it ended, one more bid came in putting it at ¥1100. A handful of watchers. It smelled like a sleeper, because it was tucked under the ballpoint category, not pencils. I was ready and waiting to snag this, for the Pentel PXE5 in good condition just waiting to be in my hands…

In the final 15 minutes, the bids came in. It jumped to ¥14000, which meant there were other people who knew about that PXE5. Damn! It sat for a bit at ¥14000, and I thought my snipe bid at ¥19000 was going to take it. But no… someone came in bid over me, then more and more, driving it all the way up to ¥37000. The problem with this auction is that it’s a full out “JUNK” listing. Nothing verified. While the PXE5 didn’t look to have any dents or major scratches, we didn’t get a full look at it. The black paint labeling was partially worn away. No verification of function. It could indeed be junk.

Who won? Why… the Chinese group account, of course.

3 Likes